Saturday, October 20, 2007

Coffee + laptop = certain death

But I swear it was a complete and total accident.

So there I was at Geek Terminal, helping with the filming of the Creative Aurvana X-Fi headset that we had had in our possession for some weeks. We had just finished and were talking about some stuff, deciding on a certain something which I can't recall. Daniel then asked to borrow a laptop, and since mine happened to be nearby (I didn't look, but I knew. Duh.), I conveniently turned around to grab it......

.....but didn't quite make it there.

My hand, traveling at a blinding rate, promptly came into contact with Fari's tall latte glass, the contents of which were unfinished. I never actually saw the glass fall, but it obviously did because the next minute it had unceremoniously dumped its contents all over my computer, which was on at the time. PSSSSHHHH. I cannot describe how loud my utterance of vulgarity was but it did turn heads everywhere in the place. Daniel and NTT promptly set about helping me mop up the sodding mess with a million paper towels while I tried desperately to hold back tears of anguish and frustration welling up inside me (just kidding). I think if I could I would have just shouted F***F***F***F***F*** the entire time. I couldn't believe my complete and utter stupidity.

I have just taken apart the computer to get at the keyboard and have already cleaned it up. However, it's still not booting up. The lights come on, the fan whirrs, the harddrive spins, but nothing happens to the screen. I think I might have short-circuited the motherboard or something equally important inside. NTT told me not to touch it for at least a week but I really can't go without it for school use. I MUST get it to work or I'll be screwed for the quiz with which I must use a computer. I'll have to book it into Acer's service center at Jurong East to get it all sorted out ASAP. I just hope I haven't really caused the death of it by shorting out some sort of important circuit. If I really have done that, I haven't the faintest idea what I'm gonna do.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good luck with the laptop man.. Just hope that a quick wipe is all it's gonna need.

Spilling liquids can cause anything from just the keyboard... to the entire laptop to be have to be replaced.. And generally having a warrenty wont help this..