Tuesday, November 27, 2007

This day in history

I sort of remember something that happened on this date this time last year, but I can't recall what exactly. I guess I'm left to reminisce about it and keep trying to wonder what it was. In the meantime, I think I shall do a once-over on my past entries. Ready for a long and gloomy post? Read on, me hearties.

I think it might be me, but has anyone noticed that my blog entries - except for the occasional upbeat and merry-sounding one - sound morose, downcast and exceptionally moody? After intense scrutinizing of the grammar and poring over the syntax with a fine-toothed comb, I can confidently say that despite my best efforts or lack thereof, I have managed to produce every single blog entry with just that slight shade of moodiness liberally sprinkled all over it, like a cream cake with just that hint of a dash of dark chocolate powder all over it. Intrigued? So am I.

Recently this past year, I've been party to some events: some really uplifting and exciting and fun, some however deeply depressing and mostly energy sapping. Suffice to say the depressing ones have made me somewhat of a changed person, and since they do happen more often than the happy ones, you can see which way they steer me in. You could argue that unhappiness naturally follows unhappy people and vice versa but I beg to differ.

I believe I have been blessed with the good ability to see the other side of things and their intrinsic factors and as such see the perspectives that most may not be able to, possibly due to prejudices or perhaps a simple lack of proper judgment. I am in no way demeaning others who are maybe less complex (ok let's face it, screwed up) in their thoughts and actions, it could simply be our individual upbringing that has given us different windows to see out of. Oftentimes I have helped others - friends, mostly - to see a side of circumstances that they were unable to, and subsequently complementing their overall stand on the subject, but never swaying their final decisions. I suppose some of us are able to see the big picture more times than others, and in a way it's good to convey that knowledge to your pals too - if they can stomach it.

But what happens when you do? When you have a God's-eye view over everything, you see the good, the bad and the ugly, exactly like how God sees it (no religious connotations here). And doesn't that sadden you in some way? You'd have to be a fool or incredibly blind not to feel at least a certain sense of cheerlessness in the situation. And inevitably, after a long period of time of repetitive listening-to-friends-and-helping-them-with-heartaches, you start to slowly feel a little less hopeful, a little less buoyant. Listening to your friends' problems and naturally having some of your own axiomatically induces a certain amount of melancholy in you. It is this slow creep of despondency that makes one a mournful and disconsolate person.

I've been trying to change my mood of late. Where possible, I'm always on the lookout for the brighter side of things, to see where others might fail to see and to help them see the heartier side of it all. Because when you see happiness, you're a happy person.

Ready for the ride?

No comments: