Sunday, November 04, 2007

Randomity and the E-Learning week

*cracks knuckles, wiggles fingers* aaaahh. Feels so good to be doing a randomity post; haven't done one for a while now.

School's starting tomorrow, and the E-learning week's drawing to a close. To be quite honest it has been the most useless week ever. The concept in itself is fine: to be able to study from home and pace yourself out. BUT come on SP, most of us would rather go to school and do some proper studying than get bogged down by tons of computer games and stacks of food lying around at home. Or is it just me?

Work yesterday was in short, chaotic. I have realised one thing: the longer the hours, the more calamitous the cock-ups. The first few hours were predictable harried because I had forgotten how to do some cashiering procedures and I had to relearn all of them in the grand space of 5 minutes. Worst cock-up came at the 11th hour, literally at 2300 when I was about to knock off. This woman came in and bought some stuff, and I proceeded to scan them. She handed me her Nets card, after which I proceeded to tap the button on the register to signal she was "Nets-ing it!" or whatever. Problem was: there was no Nets terminal at the register I was working on. Cue frantic button pressing, a system hang, a complete restart to the computer and one black face. Total cock-up time: 15 minutes. I'd like to take this opportunity to thank my parents, sisters, uncle..................

Whatever.

Results of McLaren's appeal to the FIA regarding the apparent technical misconduct of BMW and Williams will be known next week. I'm hoping that nothing will come of it because it will be a sad day for motor racing if Lewis Hamilton won on a technicality instead of on his own merit. If both Robert Kubica and Nico Rosberg get penalised and demoted, it would mean the rookie taking 4th, effectively bringing him up in the points and winning the World Championship. Kimi would be devastated. Cross fingers, really.

Acer has called with some really heartening and delightful news. Turns out that my repair costs are now a tick more than what was previously quoted. So instead of the princely sum of 500, I'm now paying a staggering 718. That's damage to the keyboard, motherboard, video card and some cabling for you. I've said it once and I'll say it again: how the f*** can a 5 buck latte wreak so much havoc on a $1800 laptop?


if the future looks bleak, don't fear,
for another chance will always be here.
cling to whatever last vestiges of hope ,
because that's your boat,
if you think you can do it, you probably can,
for the strength of the human mind,
renders you to all but the truth blind,
but if you despair,
then be prepared,
for the person who ultimately does choose,
is the person who stands in your shoes.

No comments: