Tuesday, January 01, 2008

2007

2007.

A tumultuous year gone by.

Many incidences have happened, some best forgotten.

2007 started as a year with me hoping for many things to happen. I did do my best to achieve them but as fate would have it, they didn't happen. I wished some of them would happen but then again they didn't. And that brings me to the topic of resolutions.

I'd like to know exactly how many people follow through on their New Year resolutions. It's customary - compulsory, even - for some people to list out a number of resolutions and then attempt to follow up on them. I say attempt because frankly speaking I don't think many people make good on their promises for the New Year. Procrastination? Lack of faith? Unwillingness? All three? Thing is, none of us have managed to follow up on all that we've promised to no one in particular. And that brings me to the most likely reason why we fail to follow up on our resolutions: we don't tell it to anyone.

It's been known that telling people our goals is one of the factors that determines how aggressive you pursue that aim. If we tell someone what we are aiming for, it somehow makes it more poignant and makes us more aware that that goal exists because we created it for a reason and that we should achieve it. By doing that, the onus is put on us to attain that goal. If we fail, it might feel that we've let that person down so we do our best not to let that happen. In contrast if we don't tell at lease someone our resolutions, then it'd be easy for that person to forget about achieving that aim due to perhaps sheer laziness or a particular inability to do that. There's no accountability, see.

So here I will tell you, my dear reader, my New Year resolutions. If you happen to be part of the BBP or my best, make sure something happens to me if I don't achieve at least half of my resolutions. In no particular order, they are:

1. Study harder than 2007
2. Score higher in all modules than 2007
3. Grow and increase in wisdom (stop laughing, it's true)
4. Make a difference in people's lives
5. Make a difference in my friends' lives
6. Make a difference in my own life
7. Solidify existing friendships and make new friends
8. ____________________________________ and ________

I know you guys are supposed to know all of my resolutions but my secretive side has kicked in and prevented me from writing number 8. Honest it's nothing nefarious but rather something, well, private :P. I leave it up to you all to guess it, but you'll get nothing from me.

Happy 2008!

No comments: