Tuesday, January 22, 2008

So it begins

So this is how it begins.

I face down the four faceless riders with my own trusted brethren. My breathing is calm, my horse unperturbed, my senses - heightened like never before. I feel the weight of that sword clutched in my hand as though it were an extension of me all my life. Thunder rumbles in the distance, warning all who hear it to take shelter from the inevitable deluge that will follow. I look up, and the sky has turned a deathly pallor of gray, a foreign hue to this land. A certain peace has befallen me, like a blanket of peace smothering the glowing embers of anxiety. I feel no fear and I feel no regret. This is how it begins, this is how it will end.

The four horsemen, the Evil Ones, the Dark Knights, the angelli rebelli, continue to bear down on us. Their bodies are shrouded in long flowing cloaks, their faces unseen. I can hear their mares now - snorting viciously, black as sin. Even though we have the hill, I can feel the thunder of their hooves as their soulless riders - with venom in their every movement - flash the reins and hone in on us with unbridled fury. In a distant corner of my mind I wonder sagely whether I should first pierce the demon riding, or wait patiently till his mare is upon me and then slash the beast's head off with one single, calculated movement. The sword in my hands twitches ever so slightly. This is how it begins, this is how it will end.

The moment of inevitability is here. Upon this hill we shall fight as countless others have done before - our blood, the life upon which the grass of our land grows, shall flow. Our lives - dedicated to the defense of this place we call home. One call, one bugle, and my men swing their swords high in unison. Let this day be remembered for the glory the martyrs have brought to it! Let this day be remembered for the fight that we brought to the Darkness! Let this day be remembered for time immemorial!

This is how it begins, and this is how it shall end.

No comments: