Saturday, December 15, 2007

@ Where planes live

Yes, a very inane post indeed. I'm sitting at T1's Coffee Bean drinking an ice blend. Flight's at 0810 and I'm going to the gate just about soon. It's SQ805 to Guangzhou (yes yes I'm going to Hong Kong after that) and for those aviation buffs out there, it's a B777-200. Short range plane, nothing to crow about, but since the flight's only a coupla hours long I don't think that matters.

What's on my mind now is something that might seem rather morbid to some of you, but it's quite relevant. For AMMP these past few weeks our lecturer has been showing us video clips from Air Crash Investigation on the National Geographic channel and it's quite shocking in the least to see the final moments of a plane's final struggle and its plunge toward certain death. For once, I actually have a slight fear of flying. But I guess it's quite unfounded: the aviation industry has one of the, if not THE highest standards of safety to be found anywhere. It's just media hype that plays up the severity of aviation-related incidents and also that same hype that plays down the severely stringent (to the point of anal) safety and maintenance procedures the industry has to undergo.

It's 100% safety out here.

No comments: