Tuesday, December 19, 2006

rain, rain, go away

He was just standing there, in the rain, soaking wet.

I was just walking by, on my way home. I whistled to him, and he came bounding, a flash of brown. A beautiful golden retriever. He looked so lost. I tried to shoo him away, but he always came bounding back whenever I whistled. And he just wouldn't go away. He trotted by my side, in the pouring rain, he loving eyes looking up at me, lost, pleading. I couldn't just do nothing. The speech by Deirdre Moss of the SPCA just touched something in me. 1000 strays taken in monthly into their shelters really struck a chord in me. I couldn't just do nothing: I took him home.

I gave him some food and water, and played with him. Just 45 minutes after I let the lost canine in, the maid of the owner of the dog - searching for him - chanced upon him at my gate. Thank goodness we didn't let him in otherwise she'd still be searching in vain.

I guess something good happened to me today. Barely 5 minutes before I found the dog, I was yelling at myself through the rain - literally yelling - at how bad this day had turned out to be. Why I had still so many things to do at home, etc. And this encounter happens to me. The most amazing thing was, I walked out of my house intending to do a good deed today. However, no chances called out to me during the time I was out. Until I came home. All through this encounter, I felt like a hand was behind it all. God, maybe? All that I know that this was a blessing bestowed upon me. I feel absolutely overawed by this.

No comments: