Monday, January 16, 2006

You're right there, and I'm here waiting...

With a flick of my wrist, I open the flaps, and step out.

It is 3 o' clock in the morning, nary a movement to be seen anywhere.

I stand there, waiting, watching, listening.

All around me, spread out to the farthest reaches of my eye, lie a farmland dotted with small, unremarkable little square huts: tents.

The sky, a carpet of black velvet stretching out to eternity, lies before me, sprinkled with millions of sparkling jewels. It is as though they are winking to me.

Dozens of insects, hundreds, chitter excitedly in the grasses before me, unseen.

At that instant, like a sheet of satin on soft skin, a cool breeze rolls past me into the night.

As I stand there, savouring the wind's feathery touch, the breeze touches the tips of the tree leaves, making them rustle ever so softly, so quietly.

I inhale, filling to the depths of my lungs the fresh, unpolluted air of the early morning.

A deep, calm solitude takes me into its arms, enveloping me into its bosom.

I savour every minute of this,

Because I know that this will not last long.

This might be the last time I ever see the sky.

This might even be the last time I ever see my family.

My friends.

My relatives.

My comrades.

My brothers in arms.

Today may be the last day I am alive.

For today marks a turning point in the battle, even the war.

Today will be the day that will change the course of the war, perhaps even history.

It will be a day like no other.

For today will see the single, most concentrated effort to push the aggressors back to their homeland.

It will be a day that will see the ultimate sacrifice paid by some. For others, it will be postponed to the next day. Or the next day. Or next week.

Nevertheless, it will come.

We are not in Belgium or Holland, in Africa or the Pacific.

We are not even in the United States.

We are in Uppottery, England.

Target: Normandy, France.

Today is D-Day.











Just a little something I spend almost 45 mins to write. Being a World War II nut really does help you write some good lines =p. For your info, Uppottery is the place where the 101st Airborne was marshalled at. It is 10 miles from the English coast, beyond which lies the English Channel and of course, the French coastline of Normandy. I don't know why I'm writing this, but I think it could be improved. Any comments welcomed

No comments: