Tuesday, January 10, 2006

My First Day

of work, yes. Before I relate my day i have to warn you that I'm writing this at 0300 and my eyes can't open. My deepest apologies if I have forgetten to dot my i's and cross my t's.

Had an extremely hilarious night of watching Wallace and Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit. If there is a more satirical and humorous movie, I haven't seen it yet. The show made spoofs of other movies, most notably scenes from Jurassic Park: The Lost World and yes, King Kong. You know, the whole I'm wrapped-around-the-roof-of-the-Empire-State-Building thing? I got an absolute kick out of Victor Quatermaine, voiced by Ralph Fiennes of Red Dragon fame. The typical hero-who-wants-to-save-the-girl-but-bumbles-it-instead is portrayed here as him being a gruff, gun-toting safari type (wearing a toupee, i might add) and attempting vainly to get Lady Campanula Tottington's (voiced by Helena Bonham-Carter) hand in marriage. Naturally, he fails. Although he steals some of the limelight from the main characters at times, it is really Gromit, the lovely, droopy-eared dog that should take the credit for bringing this utterly delightful film to life. He doesn't talk, doesn't make a sound and doesn't disappoint. His eyebrows, ears, body language say it all. A companion, not so much of a sidekick to Wallace, he is an absolute love.

The film is typically British in every way, from the language to the characters' personalities to the plot. Mind you, this isn't some slapstick comedy or humour show. The jokes told here do take some brainwork to work out their meaning, which is probably why when you really understand the joke, you'll laugh. Long and loud, I guarantee it. Nick Park, the film's creator, has done a smashing job of slipping in some subtle jokes in the film (I believe Lady Tottington's outrageous dressing does conjure images of a prominent member of the English Royal Family). Oh yes, Hutch the Rabbit's most famous line: Cheeeeese, Gromit! (say that in a very strong English accent).

One Zinger meal and a train ride later, I was standing in front of MOS Ang Mo Kio. Heart pounding (literally), I pushed open the door and walked in. To my relief, the night manager was there already. Thinking that I just needed to inform him about my stay for the next 4 hours, I asked him how I should start. Much to my chagrin, I had to wait while he called his boss, confirmed that I was coming, and then let me through. Don't much like him, to tell the truth. I got my uniform, which by the way is two sizes too big (and I thought I was). Consisted of a XXXL (not kidding) prison style shirt - alternating horizontal black and white stripes - beige trousers long enough to be telephone poles, a good fitting blue apron and a do-rag. Yes. I particularly like the last one. You wear it by folding it into a right-angled triangle and by drawing the longest leg of it over your fringe, then tying the two loose ends together behind your head, tucking in the corners. Pretty cool.

After that, things started to happen. Very, very fast. One of the things I have learnt at a fastfood restaurant: don't stand around. Firstly, people are constantly running aroud, grabbing a patty out of the fryer, a lettuce out of a stainless steel container or squeezing mayonnaise from a bottle. Second reason is more simple: you'll look like a fool. People are running around taking orders. Look busy, even if it means simply grabbing a cloth and wiping an imaginary speck of dust. These guys don't like idlers. If you get shouted at, take it in good stride. These people have learnt the tricks of the trade the hard way, e.g. oversqueezing the mayo, burning their fingers on the cooker or simply fucking up the entire burger, of which I haven't yet have the privilege of doing. This guy Marvin was there, and we started chatting. He was the one who showed me all the ropes of the place, just like a fast food kitchen. Don't do this, don't burn that, don't overdo the mayo, put the lettuce just so, etc. I thanked God I had met him, otherwise I would really have been at a complete loss. You don't have formal training in a job that pays $3.50 an hour, just learn as time goes by. Anyway, this fellow Marvin (he's a street-wise individual, an euphemism for another term) has been only working there for about 6 days. This old woman was working there too. Word has it she's been there for nearly 3 years, not sure. But looking at how she treated the two rookies, I can almost believe it. I got chewed out on my burger prep skills and my cleaning. "Everything that has been used you have to clean!", she nearly screamed. Now you know why I didn't call her a lady.

Before I knew it, 2 1/2 hours had passed and it was time for cleaning, aka sai kang. Now this was really my element (thank you NCC). Sloshed and washed, cleaned and mopped, splashed and cursed. Not long until Marvin and I were left. Now the fun started. He showed me how to cut corners a bit here and there, how to wash the floors without doing an imitation of a vacuum cleaner, how to drain the oil and so forth. (A little tidbit: fastfood restaurants change the cooking oil only once every 2 days, so for the health conscious, you might want to reconsider your next Big Mac). Talked a bit while we cleaned, since only 4 active people were in the store then, not counting the manager. Asked me where I studied, how come I took up this job, etc. Though I did my best to talk the talk, I think he still knew I'm a non-HDB dweller, ie not your average street guy. Told me he had left school when he was 14 and had been working ever since. I tell you, I really admire these people. What they lack in formal education, they more than make up for it in being streetwise. This guy had been here barely a week and yet he was hosing and washing away like a pro. Even in the taxi back home, he casually mentioned he held two jobs, a day one and a night one, the latter being this job. To me, these are the people whom we should really admire. Though he may not have much finesse or eloquence, people such like him are true survivors. They know that their lives suck, and that they'll not amount to a Sim Wong Hoo or Lee Hsien Loong, but they are willing to make a living out of what they have. They are the people - who possess true grit and determination - whom we should salute. Socialites and celebrities who make the news for all the wrong reasons? No thanks, Ms Hilton.


Hope tomorrow's not going to be a long day, I need a lot of sleep. Going to start German classes soon. Oh ya by the way, sorry for the plain look of my site, planning to keep it this way. Easier on the eye, I believe. Ya la, slightly lazy too =D

No comments: