Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Just another (sick) day

What cock. I woke up at 940 today when school starts at 10. Just couldn't believe my crappy luck. The minute I looked at the clock, I jumped up, threw on my clothes and ran straight out of the house. Had to cab down to school cos I knew I'd be screwed over if I had bussed there.

Mr Tharman Shanmugaratnam, aka our Education Minister, showed up in SP today as part of a dialogue session. I must say I was skeptical about the entire thing at first, because I expected it to be some sort of a propaganda session, a sort of experiment in brainwashing and telling us how good the Govt is. I couldn't be more wrong. After an hour and a half of listening to him, I just realised that - at the risk of sounding patriotic - he sounded almost sincere in wanting to improve the education system in Singapore. Students were asking questions like "Mr Minister, do you agree or disagree that students in Singapore are not groomed to be creative, but are rigid and inflexible due to the education system?" and he was replying that he did agree with the person. Some of you might argue that that's the natural response a minister must make to sound PC, but I beg to differ. He really did sound sincere.

Stayed back with Audrey to complete part of our OOP project. I was sick and all, sniffling half the time and feeling cold all over, like I was in the damn Antarctic.

No comments: