Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Randominity and Caltex National Karting Challenge

Wonder of wonders.

My laptop has finally come back to life! After nearly 2 weeks without it I have started to feel a bit lost. And now when I look at its 15" screen it does feel small compared to my 17 inch Dell monitor I've been using for these past few weeks. What I did to revive it wasn't difficult. I suspected that it wasn't actually the virus causing it to freeze upon boot, but rather the new antivirus program which I had installed prior - PC Tools Antivirus - whose high regard on CNet.com led me to download it. I had installed it in school, and tried to scan my computer, but realised it kept freezing on boot. Glum, I thought that the virus had even killed off the antivirus program and I had no choice but to cold turkey the damn thing.

Last night, I had a brainwave while studying math (yes yes, I wandered) and decided to do a bit of DIY servicing. I logged on to Google, found out how to start the computer up in safe mode and did that to my laptop. Immediately I uninstalled the antivirus program and rebooted the computer, holding my breath.

It worked.

I had never thought I was so happy to see a boot screen but by god I was. Icons could get selected again, the start menu could pop up and everything just worked to my utter relief and jubilation. Now I can save on that 7-hour trip down to school for a reformat. My laptop vivified! Whoda thunk it huh.

The Caltex National Karting Challenge is coming up and I want to join it. Unfortunately I've just logged into the page and it says I must form a group of 4+1, the extra being a reserve driver. I'm wondering...if anyone would like to join me? One day out together, fun with cars in the sun.

Come on guys, it'll be fun. Anybody?

No comments: