Wednesday, August 08, 2007

MSN Messenger Virus Part 2

Sigh. I guess no more amount of ranting will bring my dear laptop back to life. For those who have yet to experience my horrific and utterly painful loss, my laptop was infected by the MSN photo album virus yesterday, through some complete and absolute pig-headedness on my part. You see, in addition to downloading that file from my friend, I also unzipped it, leading to a tragic loss of every byte on board the laptop. It was working fine yesterday, after a thorough scan with AVG and McAfee gave the all-clear. But sadly the heroic antivirus programs did not live to see the fruits of their triumph, however short lived, for today changed everything. I was in school using my laptop and I realised it was getting slower...and slower...and slower. Scanning with my antivirus program yielded yet nothing.

Things got to a head when I tried rebooting my laptop and realizing that...it had stopped working. It would load right up to the desktop screen, taskbar, icons, etc - and stop right there. Frozen bytes in a macabre stare grimaced at me through the screen, and I realised that my Acer 4150, which already had gone through a previous reformat, had died a sudden, instant, quick and painless death. Oh the humility, the sadness, the shame. Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa.

Nothing is left except to head down to school on the 27th where I have already booked a slot for reformatting and try to CPR my dead electronic wife. How I will live without her for the next few weeks is a thought I dread and which should rightfully be banished to the depths of hell. A faithful companion, she accompanied me through my daily grind - an oasis of respite and relief. Oh, though how she suffered at my hands - the constant hard knocks, the painful bumps - never once did she complain, soldiering on and keeping my MSN Messenger locked on to wireless@sg - an irony which would soon manifest itself in the most unexpected of ways.

Shit la.

If any kind soul out there could enlighten this poor deprived guy on what to do, please by all means do so. A geek like me should never have his hands leave any sort of keyboard for any period of time no matter how short.

Oh...and...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY SINGAPORE!!

No comments: