Friday, September 15, 2006

realizing the impossible

I managed to pass all my subjects. What a whew. It was just the day before that I kept telling people that I was freaking out and had decided to retain for one year. How my fears have been allayed. However PEEE, DE and Maths results aren't out yet, which means that there's still a bit of nail-biting anxiety in me. I really hope that I did well in those papers. Granted, there's not much use crying over spilt milk, but you gotta have hope. Pray my other classmates do well in them too. Their futures rely on it. Don't wanna see any of them get kicked out from this class. Isn't nice at all.


Past few days were nothing but tiring. Went for live range at Amoy Quee Camp and had my eardrums blown out repeatedly by rifles firing less than 5 feet from you and brass cartridges literally flying at you. Man those little buggers can fly. Even though I was wearing earplugs, imagine facing the barking rifles all day. Was IC of the chamber, meaning that after every firing detail had completed their haphazard destruction of the targets (some never even hit their targets; they shot the next lane's), I had to lead them, red flag raised, into the firing chamber and retrieve their Canadian bull targets (a type of target used to train accuracy), and replace them with figure 12 targets, which is a picture of a man charging at you. I had to do this twice for each detail, meaning I had to go in and out for 14 times for 7 details. Furthermore I had to assist in sticking litle stickers over the bullet holes in each board that came back so they could be reused for the next detail. Yes, NCC is quite poor. Came home and hankered after hearing aids.


Went for stocktake at Toa Payoh's Popular after that at 2200. Was a long and difficult process, to say the least, but Zitian and I got lucky and were sent to Multimedia, which was at CD-Rama next door. Thank goodness we got assigned there. It's much quieter and less hectic than at the main store opposite. Had absolutely no fun in the beginning. The staff there hadn't performed a precount, which is to count the items before the stocktakers descend, so we had to count them ourselves. But when it came to the games section, the fun began. 3, 3, 2, 3, 4, 5, such numbers weren't all that tough to count. Worked though the night, with a break at 0300. Popular's rich, I tell you. They provided free food and drinks all through the night, which explained the perpetual cup of coffee beside me when I worked. Got acquainted with this girl who seemed to be on good terms with nearly anyone in the store. Wasn't a looker, but she was pleasant enough. Her friend was a pretty one though. She didn't catch my roving eye. Pity. Got cycled from CD-Rama to stationery to text, after which the staff realised I was the wanker screwing up and took away my terminal. No I'm kidding. Worked all the way till 0700 and had a Popular-sponsored breakfast of Sausage McMuffin. Told you so.


Going to the zoo to meet my monkey relatives with YM, Isam and Audrey soon. Not sure if I want to meet Uncle 'Rilla though. He scared the living daylights out of me the last time I went, together with Cousin 'Utan. Hope he isn't back from Butan.


Oh and did I mention, Jo called during range? I had my eardrums jackhammered while she was on the other end nonchalantly saying "You call that loud?" I could almost imagine her doing her nails, reclining in bed, phone cradled between her neck and shoulder, and saying "You call that loud?" Sorry Jo, I'm just kidding. I know you weren't doing that. Her attachment ends on Saturday instead of today, poor thing. But once she finishes she's free. Now where's my bowling trip?

No comments: