Wednesday, August 02, 2006

today and the day before it

did i mention that i am a tour guide? well, now you know.


Ludo my italian pal has been my most daily committment to date. yesterday i wasn't with him because i had that disgusting day called tuesday, which is the longest of all my days. today - wednesday - wasn't that bad because i had the whole day free. spent 1300-1500 in school for math remedial, and dumped him in my school library. he ended up taking a walk around the school himself. what a pity, it wasn't the usual teacher Mr Henry Something for remedial. it turned out to be some old woman. but surprisingly she was good. yiming, wai siong and myself wanted to leave after an hour, but decided to stay on.

wait sorry, haven't talked about yesterday yet. had my german test. audrey and isam wished me luck - thanks fellas. was super nervous when i walked into the room. the written and hearing test wasn't that bad, but the worst part came at the oral. my hands were shaking so badly i had to hide them. and the worst part was, i got the worst card. on it was the word "Meer", which means "sea" and the theme was "Urlaub", or "vacation". and i was supposed to form a sentence. it sucked.

but i saved the best for last. in another section of the test, we got picture cards, and were supposed to formulate requests based on those cards. i got a card with a pic with the word Rechnung. foolishly thinking it was a newspaper, i blared out "ich möchte lesen die Rechnung. Bitte Sie bringen mir die Rechnung?". at that moment the two examiners looked at each other. with a puzzled expression, one examiner asked me: "Kennen Sie das wort Rechnung?", which translates to "Do you know the word Rechnung?" i shook my head. "it is bill", she said. like, meal bill?

so holy shit. what i had said translated to "I like to read the bill. Please can you bring me the bill." WHO THE BLOODY DEVIL LIKES TO READ A BILL?! i couldn't believe it. i think inside they were laughing so hard they could explode. never mind.

pui wia treated mavarick and me to a ramen dinner near hotel grand central. wonderful stuff. even more wonderful, i shared a cab with her back home. i'm so gonna miss her, cos she's not going to carry on the next term of german.

No comments: